Monday, March 12, 2012

Day 45: Subtle Repose

I feel like I'm back at Day One.  So I had to go read Days One, Two, and Three to remember what I was feeling during that time and motivate myself to move forward.  It was pretty interesting to see how it all started off and what I got from that first few days was this.  "It's funny how in the beginning I started out feeling stressed and inadequate and ended up feeling encouraged and renewed."  I said that?  I guess that was me.  So I read on and looked at the final result of my first three days and something wonderful happened . . . I felt encouraged and renewed. 

So here I sit with a blank piece of wood, a pencil, 
 and an awake baby . . .
What's a tired mommy/starving artist to do? 

Hazrat Inayat Khan says, "The soul is a current that joins the physical body to the source.  The art of repose naturally makes it easier for the soul to experience freedom, inspiration, power, because it is then loosened from the grip of the physical body."

So I rocked the baby with my foot, picked up the pencil, and let my soul speak.  This is what came out.
I've been reading a lot of Frida Kahlo stuff so I was inspired to draw a self portrait.  I loved how she made herself her subject.  I have to laugh when I look at this drawing because I look a little annoyed, a little tired, a little frustrated, a little agitated, a little sad, and a little like a distant cousin instead of like myself, hah!  (I have a hard time making people look like themselves when I draw.  They usually look like family members of the actual person I'm drawing) 

I propped myself, or should I say my distant cousin, up against a wall and went to sleep at 3 am this morning.  When I woke up and looked at the drawing in a different light, it looks a little like, I might be having a moment of subtle repose.  So maybe my soul actual won this one.  Take that physical body!!!!!


 

2 comments:

  1. I love staring into the eyes of the woman in this drawing. I get so many feelings from them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then I did what set out to do. I'm always trying to make art that makes you feel something. So glad you feel it!

    ReplyDelete